Friday, April 11, 2008

Backyard Crap

So I was out in my backyard yesterday cleaning up about 20 lbs of dog shit that accumulated over the winter. It was a pleasant task. I then realized I was cleaning up the dog shit so next weekend I could cover my lawn with cow shit. This made a great deal of sense to me.

I also have to figure out what to put in my garden -- granted, I don't actually have a garden yet. But I could go with the practical: Grow some vegetables. I could go with the impractical, but pretty: Plant flowers, shrubs, etc. I could also go with quirky: Gnomes.

Having a garden is kind of a cool concept. I suddenly become a farmer of this little plot of land. I almost feel like I should wear overalls, throw on a baseball cap, have a wheat stalk sticking out of my mouth, and adopt a drawl:

"Yup, that's my plot of land right there, that 1/1000th of an acre. Yup, she's alllll mine. Gotta know when the soil's right to plant my crop of tulips. See, right now, the soil's too dry. See all the pebbles and stones. That's going to cause too much drainage, see. The soil has to be tilled and I have to throw in that mulch from Canadian Tire to make things right. Last year's crop almost failed because of the early frost..."

In general having a backyard is a cool thing. This is my own little bit of land where I can do with it as I choose. Heck, I may even start a development in my backyard.

Phase 1: Housing.
Dog house
Bird house

Phase 2: Add a community centre...aka a bird bath

Phase 3: Build a road (a stone pathway).

...and don't get me started on how grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. I'll save that for a blog post next time.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yea doesn't the dog poo act as fertilizer? I don't know a lot about this kind of thing but I thought it would.. which makes me wonder why we pick up dog poo on grass. Isn't it like a favor when a dog poops on your grass? lol.

As for the backyard are you going to get a hammock or anything? check out cribcandy.com and go to outdoor for some ideas.

I would love a backyard. Growing up in Toronto I never did. :(
I can't wait to have a garden and backyard some day.

Anonymous said...

Candian girl, no dog poo cannot act as a fertilizer because since dogs are carnivores, their poo is made up of other "animal" matter and does not contain much (if any) plant matter which would help refresh the soil. It would be like a person dropping their kids off at the pool on their own front lawn (embarrassing and gross and not beneficial all at once). Only animals who eat plants, grains, seeds, etc. can have their poopy used as a fertilizer because what they eat comes from the earth.